Friday, July 21, 2017

New England Odyssey Day (Day 8)


Florence, SC to Wilmington, NC (7/17/17)

Noah got up at 6:30 to take the truck to the Ford dealership for repairs while I stayed behind to sleep.  However, I couldn't once he'd gone, so I got up and took care of some housekeeping chores:  dishes, laundry, & sweeping.

Luckily, the truck was a quick fix, and we were able to be on the road to North Carolina by about 10:30.  We stopped at the North Carolina Welcome Center for a photo op 

Made it to NC!

and for lunch at Subway (and to buy a basket of fresh peaches from a road side stand) when we switched drivers.  Even so, with only about 120 miles to drive, we arrived in Wilmington by 2:00.

Noah drove to the RV park I'd chosen from the travel brochure we'd picked up at the Welcome Center.  The Carolina Beach Family RV Park is quite an interesting place.  Here's a photo from the window of our trailer.  It doesn't quite capture the ambiance of the park, but suffice it to say, I will be checking reviews on Trip Adviser before making any future bookings.  Live and learn!

Camp "Deliverance"
On the plus side, I have befriended a dainty little feral grey and calico kitty who lives here.  I want to take her home!!  She is so sweet, but will only come to me, not Noah.

After getting set up at the park, we both had a nap before heading to the historic section of Wilmington.  We strolled along the Riverwalk which borders the Cape Fear River:


River Walk, Cape Fear River, Wilmington, NC

and took a horse-drawn carriage tour to see some of the historic buildings and homes:


Horse-drawn carriage tour, Wilmington, NC

Old Wilmington house


Another old Wilmington house

We capped the evening off with dinner at the Cape Fear Seafood Company.  I had my first taste of shrimp and grits, and the bar has now been set VERY high.  It was amazing!  I'm going to try to get Noah to go there again tomorrow night, so I can have some more!

Best shrimp & grits EVER!!


Back at the trailer now & relaxing before bed--gonna read some more in my fabulous Sam Phillips biography I bought in Memphis.  Talk soon!

Regards,

Buckskin Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers