Sunday, September 11, 2011

Legend Rock Petroglyphs

On August 10th, the day before I had to report back to work for the first part of a 5-day in-service, Noah & I headed down to Thermopolis for one last hurrah.  I soaked in the outdoor hot pool at the State Bath House down in Thermop for a bit while Noah had lunch at Taco John's & got directions to Legend Rock.  We'd been meaning to visit for quite awhile.

So after my bath was over we drove to Legend Rock which is located about 25 miles north of Thermopolis & 60 or so south of Cody.  When we arrived, clouds were starting to roll in, so we set off walking to see the petroglyphs right away.  The overcast day was actually a good thing, as it allowed me to get better photos of the carvings. 

About halfway through our visit, the sky opened up & it began raining and then hailing with a lot of thunder and lightening.  We ran back to the truck to sit out the storm & Waldo tried to hide under the back seat to little avail as he weighs as much as I do...The storm passed after about 20 minutes, and we were able to go back and finish our tour. 

The caretaker told us this is a vision quest site & that the petroglyphs are allegedly some of the oldest in the US...that's all I know about them, but they're cool to look at.  Here are some of my favorites:








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers