Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Aftermath

Well...it snowed all day Monday, but Tuesday was warmer (mid-40's) and sunny, so most of the snow melted away "down" here (we're at about 6,000 ft.), but left the mountains looking beautiful.  I went out for a walk today & tried to capture the scenery on film.  I got one shot I'd like to share with all of you, along with a poem I wrote a little while after we moved up here--inspired by the ubiquitous wind--which was blowing yet again today, as I took my walk.



"Wyoming Wind"

The wind's been blowing for days

Sweeping off the mountaintops from the West

Out of Yellowstone

Where it whistles past the bison & the elk

Through the lodgepole pines

Making them sing

Then along the tumbling Shoshone

50 miles downhill

To Cody

Where it ruffles the horses' manes

And lifts their tails

Like spreading fans of

Chestnut, sorrel and black

& Stirs the sparse, sere prairie grass

That waits for spring

Along the jagged, saw-toothed Carters

Rugged and mottled white

Where the powdery snow rises up

To swirl about in pale cold clouds

And yes,

It blows against my little house

Making it creak & rattle

Shudder & groan

Till I think it cannot stand

But must come tumbling down

Around my ears

A pile of matchsticks

Yet still it stands &

Faces the whistling wind

Sweeping off the mountains

From the West

--Buckskin Lily

2 comments:

  1. As you know, English is not my mother tongue, so I can't read the things in the space between the lines, but I like your poem. I can draw a picture of you and your house in the wind and snow. -Janis,listening Ruby Tuesday by Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Janis. I don't know if there's too much between the lines--I was just trying to evoke the feel of Wyoming--the wind, the mountains, the horses, the prairie... I'll bring my iPod to the next TESOL session & let you hear some Muddy Waters. I think you'll love him!

    ReplyDelete

 
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers