Wednesday, September 30, 2009

It's Snowing & That's the End of My Garden For This Year :(


The weatherman actually got it right for once!  The forecast called for snow starting around 6 p.m. & we got it!  It's kind of strange, because yesterday it was in the 80's.  What is sad is that I had to pull everything out of my garden todaybefore the snow ruined it.  Noah & I harvested about 40 really nice ears of corn, 2 cucumbers, one head of cauliflower and all the rest of the carrots, peas, yellow squash, & zucchini.  I also brought in all of the pumpkins, even though most of them were still green.  I've put them in the kitchen window, and I hope they'll turn orange...we'll just have to wait and see.  Sadest of all were the tomatoes...I got a bowlful of nice red ones, and I picked a bunch of green ones, but I left a LOT out on the vines, and I know they'll be ruined by tomorrow morning.  The only consolation is knowing they'll make good fertilizer for next year's crop when I plow them under.  I don't think I'm going to plant any more tomatoes--it's too hard trying to grow them up here.  We're at nearly 6,000 feet, and the weather just isn't hot enough to ripen all of  them before the snow hits every fall.  I'm also giving up on the watermelon & cataloupes--they just can't make it up here.  Ah well...it's still worth the work--I just need to keep learning about what can & can't grow in this area.  The snow's kind of cool for now because it's not sticking & we should have some nice weather again before winter finally gets here.  I don't think Waldo was too thrilled about the first snow, though.  He doesn't like to go outside when there's any form of precipitation coming down, so he just sat & stared out the window at the snowflakes until it got dark.  If we get any appreciable snow at all, I'll post some photos tomorrow.  We'll have to see what it looks like when I get up in the morning.  Have a good night & I'll talk to you soon.

Love,
Buckskin Lily

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers